Hot Spinach & Cheese Squares
Serve these as an appetizer or on the buffet table. They can be made ahead, frozen or refrigerated, and reheated for service later on.
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 10 ounce package spinach defrosted, drained and excess
- water squeezed out
- 1 16 ounce container low-fat cottage cheese
- 11 ⁄2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 ⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons wheat germ
Preheat oven to 350°F, and generously grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
In a large bowl, beat the eggs and flour until smooth.
Add the spinach, cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, black pepper, cayenne pepper and nutmeg.
Mix until well combined.
Spoon into the prepared baking pan.
Sprinkle evenly with the wheat germ.
Bake uncovered, at 350°F for 45 minutes, or until slightly puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 11⁄2-inch squares.